Masterclass: Physical activity and heart diseases prevention
This Masterclass is free of charge and open for everyone, registration is required. The event will be held in English.
Talks will be given by heart health and physical activity experts from South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences (Xamk) and LAB University of Applied Sciences.
Whom? Healthcare workers and students
Price: Free of charge
Date: 21st November 2023
Time: 10.00 – 13.00 Finnish time (UTC+2)
Where? Online via Teams
What will you learn:
- Why is sedentary behaviour, i.e. sitting too much, a significant risk for one’s health?
- Muscle-level mechanisms and potential effective countermeasures for prolonged sitting.
- How can smart devices help maintaining physical activity and heart health?
- Importance of finding effective ways to help older adults to maintain their functional capacity.
- How to promote physical activity and engage older adults to exercise regularly?
Agenda (Finnish time, UTC+2):
10.00–10.15 – Welcome and Introductions
10.15–11.00 – Sitting too much and health: why standing up is good for your health? // Dr. Arto Pesola, Director of Active Life Lab, Xamk
11.00–11.45 – An outsider or an enthusiastic user? – Smart devices to support the maintenance of heart health // Dr. Marjo-Riitta Anttila, Lecturer of rehabilitation, Xamk
11.45–12.00 – Break
12.00–12.45 – Physical activity in older adults // Dr. Sara Suikkanen, Researcher & Physiotherapist, LAB
12.45–13.00 – Summary and Conclusions
The talks are approximately 30 minutes after which there is time for questions and discussions. We will have a few minute break after each talk.